Portuguese and Lusophone
2. resources in the UK
2.2 cultural institutions
This is famously known as No.1 London, home of the 1st Duke of Wellington, and the London home of the Dukes of Wellington since 1817. Its art collection includes paintings and coins from Portugal.
This is the Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian Council and Centre of Information which aims to increase understanding between Britain, Spain, Portugal and Latin America. It promotes the business, educational and cultural interests of the Spanish and Portuguese speaking world.
Courtauld Institute of Art
The library holds a collection of books in the field of art history, some of them in Portuguese. Also, paintings and photographs.
Royal Academy of Arts
This is an independent fine arts institution that has the oldest fine arts library and archive, including a picture library which holds a permanent collection comprising examples of British art from the 18th century to the present day.
The Warburg Institute aims to further the study of the classical tradition of European thought, literature, art and institutions. It houses an archive, library and a photographic collection.
Oxford's Instituto Camões Centre for Portuguese Language
This is part of the Instituto Camões and it is primarily geared to promoting the study of Portuguese history as well as of Portuguese culture and language.
Newcastle's Instituto Camões Centre for Portuguese Language
This centre for the study of Portuguese language and cultures is part of Newcastle University.
King's College London Brazil Institute
Founded in 2008, this Institute provides a focal point for Brazil-related activities across a range of academic disciplines.
Portuguese-related organizations in the UK:
- Portuguese Embassy in the UK
- Portuguese Consulate, London
- Brazilian Embassy
- Angolan Embassy
- Bristol Oporto Association
- Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation UK
- Anglo-Portuguese Society
British university departments of Portuguese and Latin American studies:
- Institute for the Study of the Americas, University of London
- Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies, University of London
- Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Cambridge University
- Department of Iberian and Latin American Studies, Queen Mary and Westfield University of London
- Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Leeds University
- Department of Spanish and Latin-American Studies, University College London
- Portuguese at Oxford University
- Centre for Brazilian Studies, Oxford University
- Department of Hispanic Studies, Birmingham University
- Research Institute of Latin American Studies, University of Liverpool
- Latin American Studies, University of Liverpool
- Spanish, Portuguese & Latin-American Studies Department, King’s College London
- Department of Iberian and Latin American Studies, Birkbeck University
- Department of Hispanic Studies, Nottingham University
- Hispanic, Portuguese and Latin American Studies, Bristol University