Portuguese and Lusophone
1. resources in Portugal
Biblioteca Nacional, Lisboa
The largest library in Portugal, it houses three main kinds of collections: general, reserved and special.
- The general collection: preserves 2,5 million items from the 16th to the 21st century. This is the richest repository. As the national legal deposit (since 1931), it also holds theses and a copy of all other academic works (about 12,000 items). The periodicals collection is also part of the general fund and includes about 50,000 titles (240 of them from abroad) starting from the 17th century.
Reserved collections refer to:
- manuscripts (15,000 codices and 36,000 unbound manuscripts);
- early printings (about 30,000 items, including many incunabula);
- historical archives (composed of 460 collections);
- Arquivo da Cultura Portuguesa Contemporânea (composed of 117 literary archives of writers and artists such as Fernando Pessoa, Eça de Queirós, Camilo Castelo Branco, Florbela Espanca and José Saramago).
Among the special funds, you will find the:
- iconography collection (about 114,000 images);
- cartography collection (about 6,700 items);
- music collection (including items dating back to the 12th century).
The Biblioteca Nacional also preserves a special section for people affected by visual disabilities (about 4,500 titles).
Biblioteca Nacional Digital
Their online catalogue with digitized documents is available for download.
Biblioteca Universitária João Paulo II
The central library of all different faculties belonging to the Universidade Católica Portuguesa. It is open to students from other universities, but you have to pay an annual fee of about £20.
Biblioteca da Universidade de Aveiro
This library includes a European Documentation Centre (CDE) which holds copies of the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU), documentation on EU law and legislation and EU documents.
Biblioteca da Universidade da Madeira - Unidade de Documentação e Arquivo
This library is open to all users.
Biblioteca da Universidade de Évora
Its main collections concern social sciences (19,000 titles), science (15,000 titles), applied sciences (10,000 titles), language and literature (7,500 titles) history and geography (7,500 titles). It also houses 1,800 different periodicals (650 of which are current).
Biblioteca da Universidade de Lisboa
This has an integrated catalogue of all faculties belonging to the Universidade de Lisboa.
Bibliotecas da Universidade do Minho, Braga
The library website of the University of Minho encompasses six main libraries:
- Biblioteca Geral da Universidade do Minho;
- Biblioteca da Universidade do Minho em Guimarães;
- Biblioteca de Ciências da Educação;
- Biblioteca do Edifício dos Congregados;
- Biblioteca da Escola de Ciências da Saúde;
- Centro de Documentação Europeia da Universidade do Minho (CDEUM).
Bibliotecas da Universidade do Algarve
This library holds about 32,000 monographs, 1,300 periodical titles (267 of which are current), 708 cartography documents and 322 audio-visual items.
Biblioteca Escola Superior de Teatro e Cinema, Amadora
This preserves about 7000 monographs. It also has 19 different titles of periodicals devoted to theatre and film studies.
Fonoteca Municipal de Lisboa
The Fonoteca is geared to promote music and music culture, with a particular reference to contemporary composers. It is affiliated to the International Association of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centers: IAML.