Our free online course
is a short Beginners Guide to the OAIS reference model. It is
available free of charge to anyone who is interested in learning
more about the Open Archival Information System model and its
possible uses in digital preservation.
The aim of the course is to
give students a basic 'getting started' level guide to the OAIS
The course covers the
- What is the OAIS reference model?
- What is its value for understanding digital
- What are the 6 Core Functions proposed by OAIS?
- What are the OAIS Functional Entities?
- What are Information Packages, and how are they used in the
- What is the purpose of Actors within the model?
Students can discuss the OAIS
reference model and related areas with each other on the Course
There is a reading list of
downloadable PDFs and other links.
We estimate the OAIS online
course will take between 1-3 hours to